Georgia - Powder Dreams on the Goderdzi Pass
Some of the best catskiing and freeriding on the edge of Europe – land of the snow…
Price: 2200 EUR
A skiing resort where no one goes
The Goderdzi Pass is located on the Lesser Caucasus mountain range. Low-pressure areas form over the Black Sea and help deliver huge amounts snow to the Lesser Caucasus. A normal winter can have around 3-4 metres of snow in January. The station of a recently built Doppelmayr 8 gondola is located on a huge snow-covered alpine meadow. These lift facilities and a snowcat allow us to access to some amazing untouched areas. Our accommodation is a former meteorological station that has been transformed into a hotel. It is directly on top of the Goderdzipass and in winter is only accessible by snowcat.
The next six days will be all yours to discover unknown terrains at heights of 1600 to 2600 metres with incredible runs over treeless slopes or even through sparse coniferous forests. During this season we will be met by very few others who know of this hidden gem. If you are looking for an unforgettable freeriding adventure right on the edge of Europe, then this trip to the Goderdzi Pass is not one to miss.
We will reach Tiblisi, the so-called Rome of the East, either with a direct flight with Lufthansa or via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. Turkish airlines offers flights from most of the larger cities in central Europe. From Istanbul, you will have a short flight of 1 hour 40 minutes to Tiblisi. In the beautiful and scenic capital of Georgia, we will board a shuttlebus and travel approximately 4 hours to Adigeni. We’ll grab a quick bite to eat at a restaurant on our way. Just past Adigeni, we will load up a snowcat with our luggage and travel 45 minutes to the Hotel Meteo on the Goderdzi Pass. During dinner we will go through all of the need-to-knows for this trip and the next morning, after a generous breakfast, we’ll jump on our ski and make our first tracks in the sparse forests between the pass and the valley station. We will then make our way back up via the gondola to meet our snowcat driver, who will be ready and waiting.
From the mountain station, we can travel by snowcat to the surrounding peaks and ridges with 8 passengers. From up here we will be able to enjoy a huge range of runs over some amazing terrain, with many runs ending at the valley station. This will allow us to make around 10 runs, if all goes smoothly. In areas above 2000 meters, individual trees adorn the landscape, and below are open, skier-friendly glades. As the sun starts to slowly sink over the Black Sea, we will head to the summit again to make one last run back to the hotel, illuminated in the evening light. Arriving back at the entrance of our hotel, we’ll already be able to smell the freshly prepared food. Over the course of the following days, we can exploit every opportunity to draw lines in the Goderdzi powder. After our last day of skiing on Friday, it will be time to say goodbye. We will travel back to Tiflis and spend the night in its old town. We will fly back to our respective airports on Saturday morning.
Area and Snow Conditions
The area that we reach with via lifts and snowcat stretches over 120 square kilometers along the north and west slopes of the Goderdzi ridge. Here, the terrain is rather mellow and is used in summer by farmers for grazing their cattle. The treeline is around 2000m. Above that are wide, open slopes. The favourable composition of the snowpack is created by the sea-influenced weather conditions and the large amounts of precipitation in the area. Depth hoar (sugar snow) or weak layers are generally rarely come across.
Even though the lifts are able to cater to the needs of over 5000 people an hour, even on weekend there are rarely over 100 visitors in this area, most of who never leave the prepared piste. This means that we generally have off-piste terrain all to ourselves. Most of our runs will only be accessible via snowcat, meaning we’ll be the ones drawing the lines. Our snowcat offers us protection from wind and weather, should we need it.
Requirements and Skiing Equipment
- Good skiing technique in all types of terrain and in off-piste areas. Experience in freeriding.
- As the snowcat cannot unrestrictedly reach all areas, short ascents on ski may be necessary. Skin and a ski binding/splitboard that can be used for ascents will therefore be necessary.
Outward Journey and Hotel
- You will fly to Tiflis and travel to Adigeni, the last village before the Goderdzi Pass. From there on, the roads will be in poor condition, especially in winter. 10km further past Adigeni, the road will covered in snow and we will have to swap our mode of transport for a snowcat. After 45 minutes we will reach our destination, the Hotel Meteo at the Goderdzi Pass.
- The Hotel Meteo, a former meteorological station, is located directly on the pass and is an ideal starting point. Hospitality and great cuisine are at the forefront here, and you will most certainly enjoy the charm of this simple hotel.
Should you wish to discover more about the development project of the Goderdzi Pass, see this website for information. While we remain somewhat sceptical about whether this area will truly become a well-visited skiing and holiday resort as described, we are thankful that we are able to offer you an incomparably beautiful skiing adventure, thanks to our contacts in Georgia.
Number of Participants
We offer this trip to a minimum number of 5 and maximum of 8 participants.
Included in the price of 2200 EUR
- 6 nights in a double room at the Hotel Meteo, all inclusive
- 1 night in a middle-class hotel, double room with breakfast, in the centre of Tiflis
- 7 days accompanied by a UIAGM certified mountain guide
- 6 days of skiing accompanied by a UIAGM certified mountain guide
- 5 hours of travel by snowcat each day, or 30 hours a week
- Transfer via snowcat to the hotel and back
- 6 day pass for the gondola and chair lift
- Transfer from Tiflis to Goderdzi Pass and back
- The hire of safety equipment (Avalanche beacon, shovel, probe, Scott Alpride avalanche airbag system)
- Travel from central Europe to Tiflis with Turkish Airlines (from 300 EUR)
- Extra hours of travel via snowcat. Should we need more than 30 hours, each extra hour will cost 140 EUR / hour, divided by the number of riders.
- 40 EUR surcharge for a single room
- Evening meal in Tiflis on the last evening (approximately 12 EUR)
- Travel and cancellation insurance
Requirements and Fitness Level
A realistic self-assessment and an appropriate fitness level is required to join our trips. In order to enjoy a long day of skiing and to reduce the risk of injury, it is important to get in shape and possess a good level of fitness.
EU citizens, as well as Swiss nationals, do not require a visa. A valid passport is sufficient.
Current Country-Specific Information, Vaccines and Health
Please contact your own ministry of foreign affairs for current information about your destination.
Please note that there is a potential risk of injury on skiing trips. In addition to travel cancellation insurance, comprehensive medical and accident insurance that cover the costs of search and rescue, as well as transport costs, are imperative. It is your own responsibility to ensure that you are insured before departure.
Comprehensive medical and accident insurance that covers potential costs of search and rescue operations as well as any medical costs is mandatory for all of our trips abroad.
It is required that you state this information during registration in our registration form in order to ensure 24h emergency assistance.
Links to Insurance Companies:
Please also check your credit card policies as it is possible that these already include insurance.
To sign up for a trip, please click on your preferred date and fill out the booking form carefully.
Please also note our terms and conditions .