Norway – Beyond the Lyngen Alps
Arnøya - the fifth largest island in Norway – is our destination for this trip. It is pleasantly situated away from the more frequented areas around the Lyngen Fjord
Price: 2300 EUR
The Many Hidden Ski Touring Mountains
A ferry operates several times a day between the mainland and the island Arnøya, bringing freshly caught fish to the mainland. The area is sparsely populated and the almost treeless landscape is visited by very few ski tour goers. The mountains range in height from 700 to 1100 metres and are surrounded by the ocean. From almost any location on this island you can put on your skins and get going on some amazing tours. Even late in the season at the end of April or beginning of May there is good snow cover that allows you to ski all the way back to the shores.
Arnøya is a great choice for ski tour goers who appreciate serenity and are happy with leisurely exploring some of the more unknown mountains.
A Surreal Week
You will be met by your assigned mountain guide at Tromsø airport. The journey to Arnøya, including the ferry crossing, takes approximately four hours. You will then have six days of ski touring ahead of you. The exact locations of each day will be planned based on conditions and weather. Sometimes we do not leave the island the entire week, sometimes we may choose to visit one of the neighbouring islands. After six days on Arnoya we then will return to Tromsø on Friday. From a centrally located hotel many restaurants and pubs will be within walking distance. After one last night, we will commence on our journey home.
At the very end of the road on the island of Arnoya, right by the sea, is our little house for the week. The house Nyomen belongs to the Guesthouse Lauksletta and we have been guests here for many years. The house has 5 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen and bathroom. We prepare breakfast in-house in the mornings and have dinner served in the main building, approx. 2 km away. Fresh waffles are offered there every day after skiing and a sauna and jacuzzi are available for relaxation. The secluded location in spectacular scenery and the hospitality of the hosts are a guarantee for well-being.
On Arnoya island, its neighboring island Kagan and on the mainland we will find a huge number of incredible ski touring possibilities. From the peak of Arnoya Högda we ski down directly to our lodge on a spectacular and steep run. On Kagan Island we travel on wild, even glaciated terrain. Should we be forced to ski a bit more mellow due to weather and snow conditions, a visit of Storhaugen is always very appreciated. What we also like to do is some of the finest day traverses. After skiing we will take care of the pick up of our car somewhere on the other side. We know the region for more than 15 years and I guess if we say we are real professionals up here, we speek about the truth.
Requirements and Skiing Equipment
- Good physical fitness and condition for ski touring ascents up to 1500 metres (approximately six hours).
- Experience of ski touring and good command and control when climbing with skins. Ski touring equipment, including ski crampons, is required.
- A good skiing technique in all types of terrain.
Hotel and Outward Journey
- You will fly to Tromsø airport. We’re happy to provide assistance with your booking. We will meet at the airport. We will then travel approximately four hours to Arnøya by bus.
- Our accommodation in Lauksletta is close by the sea. By normal snow cover it is even possible to put on our ski directly in front of our accommodation. We will be well catered for by our hosts. Single rooms are not available.
Number of Participants
The minimum number of participants is 5, maximum 7.
Included in Price of 2300 EUR
- 6 Nights in the House Nyomen of the Guest House Lauksletta in a double room with half board (we prepare breakfast ourselves, waffles and dinner are available in the main building)
- 1 Night in the Hotel ‘The Edge’, with breakfast, in Tromsø
- 7 days accompanied by a UIAGM certified mountain guide
- 6 days of skiing with a UIAGM certified mountain guide
- Transfers by bus from Tromsø airport
- Transfers with the Ferry
- Road tolls
- The hire of safety equipment (Avalanche beacon, shovel, probe) – N.B. please let us know 30 days in advance if safety equipment is required.
- Flight to Tromsø airport (from 450 EUR)
- Evening meal on the last night in Tromsø
- Alcoholic beverages
- Surcharge for a single room (only available by request for the hotel ‘The Edge’)
- Travel or cancellation insurance
Requirements and Fitness Level
A realistic self-assessment and an appropriate fitness level is required to join our trips. In order to enjoy a long day of skiing and to reduce the risk of injury, it is important to get in shape and possess a good level of fitness.
Current Country-Specific Information, Vaccines and Health
Please contact your own ministry of foreign affairs for current information about your destination.
Please note that there is a potential risk of injury on skiing trips. In addition to travel cancellation insurance, comprehensive medical and accident insurance that cover the costs of search and rescue, as well as transport costs, are imperative. It is your own responsibility to ensure that you are insured before departure.
Comprehensive medical and accident insurance that covers potential costs of search and rescue operations as well as any medical costs is mandatory for all of our trips abroad.
It is required that you state this information during registration in our registration form in order to ensure 24h emergency assistance.
Links to Insurance Companies:
Please also check your credit card policies as it is possible that these already include insurance.