Japan - Hokkaido Powder Dream Road Trip
Hokkaido has much more to offer than the world famous Niseko area. On this road trip we will be visiting some of the lesser known, but in no way less attractive, freeride areas.
Price: 2400 EUR
There’s no shortage of snow fall here
We’ve been visiting Hokkaido during its winters for the last 13 years. If we were to take bets on which region has the lightest, fluffiest snow, ours would probably be on Hokkaido. Cold air passes over Russia and absorbs moisture from the Sea of Japan, resulting in over 20 metres of snow each winter. Due to its geographical location, there are almost always minus temperatures from November to April. Snow falls in large crystal-shaped flakes, transforming the landscape into a real winter wonderland. The most known place on Hokkaido is Niseko, but there are many other hidden gems that we want to share with you on this road trip.
After arriving at Chitose Airport (Sapporo), we will have a three hour journey through the snow-covered landscape to Furano, where we will be staying in a comfortable hotel for the next four days. Based on weather and snow conditions, we will be able to choose from four different skiing resorts. Just behind our hotel is the Furano resort, a particularly great area during or after snowfall. The Alpha resort is only 40 minutes away and offers fantastic runs on its northern slopes.
Another excellent resort is Asahidake, in central Hokkaido, known for its masses of snow, forests, and hot springs at the foot of the mountain. On the fourth day we will travel five hours via Sapporo and along the west coast to Niseko. Niseko is without doubt one of the best freeride spots on Hokkaido. We will then have the next three days ahead of us to take advantage of the great runs that Niseko, Rusutzu, and Kiroro have to offer.
After our last day of skiing we will travel two hours back to Chitose, where we will be staying in the Grand Terrace Hotel. We will enjoy a fabulous Japanese dinner and the typical Japanese ambience of this small and vibrant city. The next day we then will fly back home.
Hokkaido is characterised by a volcanic landscape, with a series of partially active volcanoes. Their slopes offer fantastic skiing on slopes up to 35 degrees. Most runs are through sparse birch forests, which provide enough visibility during heavy snowfall.
This area offers perfect skiing terrain without extremely steep runs.
Requirements and Skiing Equipment
- This trip is intended for advanced skiers with at least several years’ experience of deep snow skiing.
- Hokkaido powder has gained a worldwide reputation and the region is visited each year by people of all nationalities. In order to find great runs, we may make ascents with skins. Good physical fitness and endurance for ski / splitboard ascents with skins will then be required.
- For this trip you will need freeride skiing equipment that is compatible with skins and crampons.
Hotel and Outward Journey
- You will make your own way to Sapporo/Chitose airport. We’re happy to provide assistance with the booking. You will be met at the airport by your assigned mountain guide and then travel to Furano via minibus.
- In Furano you will be staying at the Hotel Edel Warme, which is centrally located and not far from the Furano skiing resort. Our hotel in Niseko will be the Green Leaf, which is directly by the Niseko United skiing resort. The wonderful resort of Rusutu is only 20 minutes away and Kiroro only 45 minutes. This hotel offers beautiful onsen in both its indoor and outdoor areas. The last night will be spent at the Chitose Grand Terrace Hotel, near Chitose airport.
We offer this trip to a minimum number of 5 and maximum of 7 participants.
Included in the Price of 2400 EUR
- 4 Nights at the Hotel Edel Warme, including breakfast
- 3 Nights in Niseko at the Green Leaf Hotel, including breakfast
- 1 Night at the grand Terrace Hotel in Chitose
- All transfers to/from Chitose Airpot
- All transfers between skiing areas
- 8 days accompanied by a UIAGM certified mountain guide
- 6 days of skiing with a UIAGM certified mountain guide
- The hire of safety equipment (avalanche beacon, shovel, probe) – N.B. please let us know 30 days in advance if safety equipment is required.
- Flight from Europe to Sapporo (from 700 EUR)
- 7 day lift-pass for skiing resorts (Approximately 48 EUR per day)
- Dinner (roughly 25 EUR per day), lunch, and beverages
- 40 EUR per night surcharge for a single room
- Travel or cancellation insurance
Meeting Requirements and Fitness Level
A realistic self-assessment and an appropriate fitness level is required to join our trips. In order to enjoy a long day of skiing and to reduce the risk of injury, it is important to get in shape and possess a good level of fitness.
Germans, Austrian and Swiss citizens only require a valid passport for the duration of the trip. A visa is not required.
Current Country-Specific Information, Vaccines and Health
Please contact your own ministry of foreign affairs for current information about your destination.
Please note that there is a potential risk of injury on skiing trips. In addition to travel cancellation insurance, comprehensive medical and accident insurance that cover the costs of search and rescue, as well as transport costs, are imperative. It is your own responsibility to ensure that you are insured before departure.
Comprehensive medical and accident insurance that covers potential costs of search and rescue operations as well as any medical costs is mandatory for all of our trips abroad.
It is required that you state this information during registration in our registration form in order to ensure 24h emergency assistance.
Links to Insurance Companies:
Please also check your credit card policies as it is possible that these already include insurance.