Antarktis - Sail and Ski
At the end of 2016 we challenged ourselves with the crossing of the Drake Passage by sailboat and then went on some indescribable skiing tours on the Antarctic Peninsula. We have not yet fixed a second date for this trip, but we would love to offer this trip again in the near future.
Price: Upon request
Dates & booking
Please select a date for your favourite trip.
A Long Voyage…
We fly from central Europe via Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego, Argentina). A short transfer by boat will take us to Puerto Williams, on the Chilean side of Tierra del Fuego, where we will find the home port of the sail boat Santa Maria Australis. We will board the boat and have a briefing of our crossing before untying the lines. We will make port at Cape Horn before we tackle the Drake Passage. If necessary, we will wait for a day until we have good weather conditions for the crossing. After 3-4 days we will finally be able to spot land on the horizon. Weather permitting, we will then have the next 8-9 days ahead of us to enjoy reaching some amazing summits by ski, some of which still unconquered. This excursion is sure to offer incredible highlights for any ski mountaineer. Should the weather and ice permit our passage, we will reach Paradise Harbour via Gerlache Strait.
This trip is for the adventurous. It combines an unforgettable sailing trip with skiing tours on a continent that is not open to the masses. A pioneering and team spirit, as well as flexibility, are a necessity. Experience of sailing is not essential, but is an advantage. It helps if you already have your sea legs, otherwise the crossing can prove to be a nightmarish journey.
- Good physical fitness and condition for ski touring up to 1500 metres
- Tolerance of sea travel
- Good resilience in difficult situations
- A good team spirit and readiness to do without homely comforts on the boat
- Some years of ski touring experience
- You will receive an exhaustive packing list from us before the trip
This trip includes the following
- Journey to and from Puerto Williams
- Bed and board on the boat and to and from Puerto Williams
- All necessary permits
- The boat will be steered by the very experienced skipper Wolf Kloss
- You will be accompanied by mountain and ski guide Flory Kern
- Travel to Puerto Williams
- Potential hotel costs in Puerto Williams
- Personal equipment for the crossing (sailing equipment)
If you are interest in coming with us on this unique experience, we would be glad to hear from you. As this trip requires logistic planning, please get in contact as early as possible. Prices will be available upon request. For further info, contact us at email@example.com or give us a call +49 7722 920751.