The Alps – Freeride La Grave the myth lives on
Come and experience the myth of La Grave with us. From the terrace of our wonderful Hotel Auberge Edelweiss, the eye can’t help but be cast skywards – straight up to La Meije. Skiing under la Meije? Is it possible?
Price: 1350 EUR
Trip Information and Itinerary
The spire of La Meije towers all that is below. Is it even possible to ski there? We can reach the Col de la Lauze at 3500m by train and lift. From here to the village below, there is a total difference of 2150m in height. We cautiously cruise through the Trifides sector, past the ‘Interdite Zone’ - stopping only for a moment to take in the awe-inspiring views of the wild walls and steep glaciers above us. Then, along a narrow pass, over the gorge, an open slope, until we finally land at the creek below the village. Now for a beer in the afternoon sun… We feel at ease between the picturesque stone houses of La Grave. We will then be catered for at the Hotel Auberge Edelweiss.
Les Deux Alpes and Alpes d´Huez are also close by and well worth a visit. In the east lies Monetiers les Bains and its grandiose terrain, and sometimes we visit Montgenevre via Briancon. We find the best snow in the most beautiful places! Again and again we return to la Grave filled with enthusiasm: the myth lives on.
Requirements and Equipment
- Controlled and safe skiing at speed in every type of terrain (including colours and narrow chutes) and snow, as well as at least several years of freeride and deep snow experience.
- Ascents of 1h with ski skin and touring bindings may be required. Depending on conditions, a longer ascent may be necessary. A good level of fitness and endurance is therefore necessary.
- Freeride skiing equipment that can be used for ski touring will be required on this trip. It will also be necessary to wear a harness on the glacier. We are able to provide you with a harness should you not possess one.
- Many of the more interesting runs in La Grave are in challenging territory and it may be necessary to use a rope for some short passages. The number of participants is therefore limited to 6 per guide.
Hotel and Arrival
- Hotel: We have been staying with Robin and Marlon at the Auberge Edelweiss and enjoying their exquisite food for many years.
F – 05320 La Grave
- Arrival: Motorway Basel – Genf – Grenoble, turn in the direction of Briancon, you will reach La Grave after approximately 90km. Our meeting point will be at the hotel on the first day at 19:00.
We offer this trip to a minimum number of 4 and maximum of 6 participants per mountain guide.
Included in the Price of 1350 EUR
- 7 nights in a double room at the Hotel Auberge Edelweiss with half board
- 6 days accompanied and led by a UIAGM certified mountain guide
- The hire of safety equipment (Avalanche beacon, shovel, probe) – N.B. please let us know 30 days in advance if safety equipment is required.
- Lunch and beverages
- Lift pass (approximately 48 EUR/day)
- Single room surcharge (40 EUR/ night)
Requirements and Fitness Level
A realistic self-assessment and an appropriate fitness level is required to join our trips. In order to enjoy a long day of skiing and to reduce the risk of injury, it is important to get in shape and possess a good level of fitness.
Current Country-Specific Information, Vaccines and Health
Please contact your own ministry of foreign affairs for current information about your destination.
Please note that there is a potential risk of injury on skiing trips. In addition to travel cancellation insurance, comprehensive medical and accident insurance that cover the costs of search and rescue, as well as transport costs, are imperative. It is your own responsibility to ensure that you are insured before departure.
Comprehensive medical and accident insurance that covers potential costs of search and rescue operations as well as any medical costs is mandatory for all of our trips abroad.
It is required that you state this information during registration in our registration form in order to ensure 24h emergency assistance.
Links to Insurance Companies:
Please also check your credit card policies as it is possible that these already include insurance.